In order to have a good night rest, you can start by simply improving your daytime habits and creating a better sleep environment.
Below you can find essential tips for a healthy sleep, recommended by Silence. Get ready for a good night’s sleep!
- Try to have some exercise such as a walk or a workout in the afternoon.
- Avoid napping in the afternoon. This will make you less sleepy in the evening.
- Avoid stimulating drinks containing caffeine such as tea, coffee, energy drinks.
- Avoid taking a night cap. Drinking alcohol before you go to sleep makes you feel sleepy but it has a negative effect on the quality and quantity of the sleep during the second part of the night.Enjoy a light meal in the evening, to make sure that you are not hungry, but try to avoid rich meals as a full stomach will prevent you from falling asleep.
- Try to go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day, this will help you to develop a good day-night rhythm and improve the quality of your sleep.
- Avoid stimulating activities such as watching television, working on the computer, sporting.
- Develop a going-to-sleep ritual to prepare you mind and body on the sleeping e.g. by turning off more and more lights, putting on your pyjamas, brushing your teeth…
- Ventilate your room sufficiently during the day.
- Make sure the room is dark enough to sleep.
- Avoid high temperatures in the sleeping room, ideally temperature should be between 15° and 17°.
- Make sure your bed is comfortable and large enough, choose a pillow that gives you a comfortable feeling.
- Use the bedroom for sleeping and relaxation, do not use it to watch TV, to eat, to work.
Before you go to sleep:
- Take a warm relaxing bath or shower.
- Drink a cup of warm milk with or without honey, as you prefer.
- Listen to relaxing music, read a book.
- Do relaxing and breathing exercises, like yoga.